SUBMITTED BY: Beaverlodge Public Library
MATERIALS REQUIRED: Per lamp:
1. Fill the empty water bottle about 2/3 full with vegetable oil.
2. Fill the rest of the bottle with water, leaving a little space at the top (about one-inch). The water will settle to the bottom.
3. Add a few drops of food colouring. If you are adding glitter to your lava lamp, you can do so now.
4. Use a wooden skewer or the handle of a wooden spoon to gently stir the water and food colouring at the bottom of the bottle. We do not recommend shaking the bottle as this causes bubble to form in the oil and your lava lamp will not work as well.
5. When you are ready for the fun part, break an alka-seltzer tab into four pieces. Drop the tablet pieces into the bottle one at a time.